Monday, 17 March 2014

Gamers find it easier to relax and detach from work

A new study suggests digital gaming during leisure time is associated with better recovery from working stresses, particularly when that gaming involves online interaction with other people. Contrary to prior research, time spent gaming is not an influential factor upon the findings. This suggests that rather than game play steadily replenishing personal resources, the act – or mere availability – of gaming can be beneficial in a range of forms, from a quick zap to longer immersive sessions.

UCL researchers Emily Collins and Anna Cox conducted their study with 491 adults with ages up to 70, approximately half of whom were women. 216 were non-gamers, and the remainder reported how much time they spent playing what type of games, as well as whether it provided access to online social networks. Gamers reported more psychological detachment from, and greater ability to relax after work, which are key components of the recovery experience. Online social support magnified those positive relationships. Note that two other components of recovery, having mastery experiences and a sense of control, were not higher in this sample of gamers; a little surprising, as other studies have predicted and found such relationships

Gamers who spent more time on their hobby did not show differences in recovery, but were more likely to believe that their home life affected their work, in ways both bad (draining or impairing their operation at work) and good (generating skills that have relevance to the workplace). Note that we can't draw conclusions about causality: perhaps more intensive gamers are more likely to have rich and/or demanding home lives aside from their hobby.

A few wrinkles in the study merit a mention. As mentioned, we shouldn’t guess at the direction of effects in what is a correlational study. Adults were recruited from online forums, so an amount of self-selection going on. Also, I haven't given much focus to one of the 'sells' of the study - a breakdown of effects by type of game – because the First Person Shooter (FPS) type dominated the sample, replicating most of the effects described above, whereas the remaining categories had very small n-sizes and consequently non-significant effects that are hard to interpret with any great meaning.

Ubiquitous access to work-related digital technology has a negative association with detachment and recovery from work, but as this study highlights, evidence increasingly suggests that use of recreational digital tech has the reverse effect. Such contrasts shouldn’t surprise us, as digital technology isn’t a single phenomenon but a substrate to our lives, composing manifold activities, experiences and processes that influence us in very different ways. We're in the early stages of understanding how it is transforming our leisure time, and how that in turn influences our readiness and capability to work.


ResearchBlogging.orgCollins, E., & Cox, A. (2013). Switch on to games: Can digital games aid post-work recovery? International Journal of Human-Computer Studies DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2013.12.006

Further reading:
Reinecke, L. (2009a). Games and recovery: The use of video and computer games to recuperate from stress and strain. Journal of Media Psychology: Theories, Methods, and Applications, 21, 126-142. 

36 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.A fantastic presentation. Very open and informative.You have beautifully presented your thought in this blog post. find job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minor amendment: "UCL researchers Emily Cox and Anna Collins" needs to be amended to Collins, E., & Cox, A. (2013), i.e. wrong first names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Nick. Now corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, you have a great desire to spend your free time with family. The best way to do it, is hire a person from freelancehouse.co.uk, who will cope with your writing paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that it is best to write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however generally people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers
    https://www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/New-Hampshire/Ashland/blog-928334.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming...
    lularoe maxi sizing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.
    remax calgary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post.
    early pregnancy dna test

    ReplyDelete
  9. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface.
    how to take care of a stray cat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
    how to train your dog not to bite

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing.
    fildena side effects

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks you very much for sharing these links. Will definitely check this out..
    real estate services of nm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..
    life size batman arkham knight

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!
    pharmaceutical hcg drops

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you! I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one. You've really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up!
    the amazing spider man games to play online

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article.
    twitter follow button

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post.
    wedding planning checklist pdf

    ReplyDelete
  18. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article.
    chester airport taxi

    ReplyDelete
  19. This website is remarkable information and facts it's really excellent
    auto parts blogs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your amazing insightful information entails much to me and especially to my peers. Thanks a ton; from all of us.
    venue finder wedding

    ReplyDelete
  21. this blog was really great, never seen a great blog like this before. i think im gonna share this to my friends..
    beautiful uncertainty ebook

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!!
    motorised scooter for adults

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you! I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one. You've really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up!
    automotive technician jobs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!..
    lay witness definition

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post.
    home staging toronto courses

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!
    buy real instagram followers

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well!
    life size batman hot toys

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share.
    best dog diapers

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it. Really very useful tips are provided here. Thank you so much. Keep up the good works.
    alopecia areata treatments

    ReplyDelete
  30. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    dog diapers heat

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for every other informative site. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information.
    attorney states for real estate

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a hard time describing my thoughts on content, but I really felt I should here. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information.
    mobile manicure london

    ReplyDelete